Monday, July 12, 2010

New Lanark and LIttle Sparta (Stonypath)

As I write this I'm exhausted so I'll just explain what each picture is and then later rewrite this post a bit to make it sound.. moooree...full of life?

Through one of our classes (the Scottish humanities one) our professor plans day trips for us. Earlier we went to hill house and loch lomond and this day we went to New Lanark and Little Sparta (aka Stonypath)

New Lanark used to be a water mill village or something like that, correct me if you know the proper terminology. Mostly it's just very old and very pretty and has a waterfall running through the middle of it. These are some of the houses people still live in there (for a hefty fee)


Walking up the mountain we saw all sorts of pretty sights on the way to the waterfall. Here's one really nice view.


I'm so used to hiking mountains and walking up the mountain on some sort of dirt path, this one varied between dirt, stairs, and bridges that took us over the water. This was the best part.



My camera didn't do the waterfall justice at all.


The next place we were going was pretty far out in the fields. Truth be told none of us had any idea where we were really going, but the scenery was pretty on the way.


Ellie was trying to also take pictures of the scenery, but Dashiell got a little in her way haha:


When we got there I felt like I'd just stepped in the middle of one of the most beautiful places I'd ever been. We walked up a driveway lined by sheep and cow fields (sans fence to separate us) and into an at least 2 acre sculpture garden.


Sheeps/cows everrrywhere!


After walking past all the animals I turned around to take a picture of where I'd just walked through. Matt, the sculpture teacher, is the guy in the picture.


Little Sparta!


Small accents were everywhere throughout the garden.




These rock sculptures were where we all relaxed most of the day. Off in the distance all you could see were rolling hills and animals. It was so amazing. Also, to top it off it was just under 65 deg that day.


For some reason all over Scotland when I've been in fields I've noticed that to get across a fence instead of opening a gate you usually walk over it by means of one of these little guys. Pretty cool eh?


I tried to take a picture of me with the scenery in the background


This is me and my darling Callie who is going to Ireland with me tomorrow


More tiny sculptures/etc around the park


1 comment: